Skip to main content

Missing Home

We've been living in the Philippines for 5 months now. The last couple of months have been hardest because we miss home. You know the saying: "You don't miss the water until the well runs dry." Yeah, we have a very different appreciation for the United States of America. It is, in our opinion, the greatest country in the world.

But, something happened. Last week, I was at home. I didn't want to go for the reason I did but I still went home. I realized something about home. I grew up in Pensacola, Fl. My family lives there. Many friends live there. But, it's not really home any more. It is a wonderful part of my past and now a place I frequently visit.

So, where is home? Houston? Maybe. It is where my children were born. It's where I want to live again in a couple of months. I would love to grow old there and retire. We have so many friends there who we miss dearly. I won't even address how much we miss our church there. Of the places I've lived, Houston is definitely my number one choice.

While I was in Pensacola though, I ached to return home. Where is home? Wherever my husband lives is home. To me, home is that familiar place where I feel most comfortable and safe. If I lived in Houston without him, that wouldn't be home for me. If his next job assignment is in Angola or Cambodia or New Zealand then that will be home too.

In Pensacola, I watched my cousin's wife grieve for her husband. That is unimaginable for me and put things in perspective. I love and miss my family and friends but there is truly no place like home.

Of course, this post doesn't even take into account my heavenly home...

Comments

Anonymous said…
The saying "Home is where the heart is," and your heart is with your husband and children. Which is how it is supposed to be. I hope you come back to Houston though.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
Girl, tears where brought to my eyes reading this. That is so sweet and yet so true. We do not appreciate things until they are gone. I am glad you and the kids made it home safely.

Deidra
Anonymous said…
Brigette if I have not told you before, I admire you so much. Not for what you have but for what you value. I miss you guys so much and hope you return to Houston soon. My eyes are watery now!
Anonymous said…
I forgot to put my name on the previous entry. Charissa
Anonymous said…
I love the fact that you fell in love with us like we fell in love with your family. We all miss you and are anticipating your return.

Just think, you didn't even wanna come to Houston. All I can say is God knows what he has for us...I'm glad we are believers and let Him have his way.

Kiss the kids,
Marcus

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl