Skip to main content

Thanks for the memories

Last year at this time, we were trying to adjust to life in the Philippines. We were severely plagued with jet lag. We slept all day and stayed up all night for at least a week. We were excited about the opportunity of living in a foreign country. We were still in awe and looking forward to the possibilities.

Right now, I miss living in the Philippines. It was exciting and different and made us see life from a different perspective. It made us value the people we love in the USA. It made us value our country. Even though we complain about our government and so many things here, I still feel that America is a truly great country. We have opportunities others only dream about. Freedoms (for now anyway) that some can't even imagine. I was reading an article the other day about the billions of pounds of food that is wasted yearly in our country. In the Philippines, they were rationing staple food because there just wasn't enough. Children were left to beg on the streets. The elderly and handicapped had to fend for themselves in a country that doesn't provide for their special needs. There aren't nursing homes there or homes for special needs or rehab centers like we have here. If your family can't support you, then you have to just find a way to make it day by day.

Truthfully, I sincerely hope we are given another chance to live abroad. I would go without hesitation unless it's the Middle East or Nigeria. I would go to Dubai though. Really, Dwayne wouldn't even have to discuss it much with me. Just let me know when to pack. I love to travel. Living in Asia allowed us to visit many areas in the Philippines and Hong Kong. We probably would've never gone to those places if we never left.

Dwayne has already informed the higher ups at his job that he wants another expat assignment. Actually, he told them that before we came back to Houston. The only drawback is leaving our family and friends here. We really missed y'all...even the ones we don't see very often.

Every expat woman I met while away told me living in a foreign country is addictive. None of them were itching to get back home. One lady had been an expat so long she felt like she no longer had a home. She was originally from Virgina but had lived in Rome, Cairo, Poland, Manila, and maybe somewhere else. Believe it or not, she said Rome was the worst assignment. Her three children were all born abroad and don't really consider themselves Americans. They're what's called "third culture children". They have no country that truly feels like home. The earth is their home.

Anyway, we are open to whatever God throws our way. If we need to stay here, then so be it. But, if he sees fit for us to hit the friendly skies and get away, we'll see you all later. And, you can all visit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are ready to go girl! I am not mad at you. At least we will have a place to stay when we visit these countries.
Latanya
*Tanyetta* said…
Adventure is always a good thing!
Anonymous said…
I'm so happy that you got to have the experience of living abroad and hope that you get to do it again. Travel is education in itself which is something too few ppl recognize esp those in the good old US of A. I'm so envious that you get to do that....I have frequently thought that I would love to do that (although i used to think i wanted a job where I did business travel but I hate it so that is not for me) but I went into the wrong profession for that :(
I say if opportunity presents itself go.
Lonna
Anonymous said…
Sounds like you had a great time and your kids will be better for it. Of course I'll miss you guys AGAIN, but then it may force me to visit somewhere I wouldn't normally go. ;)

Trinimerican

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl