Skip to main content

Another Fun Day

Today, I decided that I would take my children to Toddler Time at our local library. My baby girl definitely needs to spend time with others her age so I thought this would be great. Whoever told me things really change once you have a second child was right. It is so much harder to do things with two babies. We got to the library about 10 minutes before the class started. Good, things are on the right track, especially since I'm a habitually late person. Danae is holding her little ticket to get in the class in her hand (instead of tearing it up like everything else). Good, maybe this will be a successful trip. The lady on the speaker announces that it's time for the class to start so we enter. We sit down in a cirle with all the other mommies and little ones. I notice that I'm not the only mom with two kids there although my second is the youngest person in the room. (Inner thought - why didn't I bring him in the car seat instead of carry him? I know Danae isn't going to cooperate the entire time and I will need my hands to be free.) Oh well!

Class begins with some cute little kid songs. I've never heard of some of them but we sing along and she enjoys clapping and dancing. Story time begins and my child is trying to take the book out of the teacher's hand. "Um, bring your butt back here." Next, she tries to take off someone's shoe. "Leave her alone and don't touch people's shoes." Next, she accidentally almost knocked down a little Asian girl. "It was an accident but tell her you're sorry." Now they sing songs while playing with a parachute. Sounds silly but they had a lot of fun. Of course, she didn't want to get off the thing when it was time and then decided to try to run from me. Not cute. I quietly threatened her and then she acted right for the last five minutes of the class. Lucky for me, she wasn't the worst acting kid but why were all the white mommies looking at me like they were thinking "she really looks like she's struggling". A black lady tried to help me out by picking up my bag for me and opening the door.

Next, we go to Walmart. I had to return some too small diapers so we stood in the always long line at customer service. White lady behind me decided to tell me about how she was a foster mother to two little black kids and she loved them but didn't know what to do with their hair. I was thinking "why is she telling me this?" As if she was reading my mind, she said "I mentioned that because your daughter's hair looks so cute and I was wondering how you learn to do hair." How? By practicing on your child, duh! I told her that statement minus the duh part. She then told me about how the little black foster child always looked crazy because of the hair issue. I asked her if she ever learned how to comb it. She said no because the biological mother ended up getting her kids back. I think if I were her I probably would have sought out black people to help out or something. Oh well!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats on taking 2 babies out at the same time by yourself! It will get easier!!
Anonymous said…
I second those congrats. By the time we have our second one, you will be an expert so be ready to answer all of my questions.
Anonymous said…
B, I hate to say it but you got some serious issues here. Payback is a mutha ain't it? I bet you were probably worse than Danae at the same age.

Being a father of 4 or fo if you will,in public parents and family would remark "your kids are so well bahaved". We had this thing when they cut up and I was there we immediately made eye contact and gave them my crazy Dad look and there was instant silence in the room, but of course you have to practice at home first. My consult fee is $150...try it, it works.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl