Skip to main content

New York City

I went on my first trip without my babies and it was fabulous. My husband and I travelled a lot during our dating and early marriage years and it was nice to revisit that time in our lives. Although I'm tired and sore at the moment, I'm so very glad we went.

We left Friday night around 9:30. We didn't get into our hotel room until close to 3 am Saturday morning. For church, we attended
Kingsboro Temple of Seventh Day Adventists in Brooklyn. We got there late but didn't miss very much. We got to hear a wonderful choir called Temple Praise. There were so good I swear angels from heaven had to be singing along with them. The speaker was Pastor Marcel Wip who was visiting that church as their pastor was on vacation. His sermon title was "I've Got Reasons to Praise." It was based on the story about the ten lepers who were healed by Jesus but only one returned to thank him. We heard a different sermon based on the same story the week before. Two different men preached two different sermons on the same topic. It was good but since I was very sleepy I'm sure I missed a few points.



Saturday night, we went to see The Color Purple on Broadway. This play made the whole trip worthwhile. The 3 church ladies were by far my favorite people in the musical but everyone did a great job. I thought it was so interesting how the writers were able to make a musical based on the same story line as the book and movie but still make it stands on its own. You couldn't say "I read the book" or "I saw the movie" so I don't need to see the play. I've read the book, watched the movie, and seen the play and they are all worthwhile, in my opinion.



Sunday, we walked and walked and shopped and walked and shopped and walked and walked. I bought this Elmo purse for my daughter and a little China girl outfit. She's going to love the purse so she can put her little cell phone and lip gloss inside. I've been looking for a purse for a while now but they all looked too adult. This is perfect for an almost 2 year old. She likes Elmo too so that's why we chose him over Big Bird, Cookie Monster, etc.

We also bought some other stuff before heading to the airport to begin our journey back home. We're both very sore from all the walking. We walked from 14th St to 59th St and then had to head back to Penn station. Of course, we caught the train back. We got back to Houston around 1 am and we both had to go to work. I have no idea when we'll catch up on our sleep. But, it's all worth having a little fun.

When we got back home, I peeked in on my daughter. She was sleeping soundly in her bed. My son was also asleep. This morning, he woke up to eat and looked at me as though he was surprised to see me. Then he smiled! Made my day!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am really upset that you guys decided to come on the weekend I was out of town.

But it sounds like you had a blast and wouldn't have had time for me anyway, so I guess it's cool. :-)
Anonymous said…
Oh, I am so jealous! Eric and I have yet to take a solo trip without the boys. I am so glad you all had fun. I want to see the play sooo bad. Happy Holidays!!! Shaun
Anonymous said…
Hey OOD,

I found your blog through afrobella. I am going to put your blog to our blogroll. I am also SDA. My church is located in Detroit, MI. If you every come out this way, give me a shout out!!

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl