Skip to main content

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes:

We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use.

In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here.

In the clothes section, we were pleasantly surprised by the low prices. Dwayne saw a pair of very nice linen shorts for P300 which is roughly about US$7. Ralph Lauren Polo shirts were around $17 for men and $12 for women. A lot of kids clothing for less than $10. We just might come back to the states broke but with a fabulous wardrobe. Speaking of that, I have yet to see a Philipino looking raggedy or with just a t-shirt and jeans thrown on. These people are always well put together from the makeup to the clothing to the shoes.

Now, in reference to the title for this post. These folks are SERIOUS about Christmas. Our driver from the airport told us it's the biggest holiday. But while we were out, we saw Christmas trees and fake Santas for sale already. And, the craziest thing is that they are playing christmas music in the stores. Yep, we heard "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" and "The Little Drummer Boy". For real, y'all! It was September 30th but felt like it was at least December 20th. Crazy!

That's enough about this place for today. If you're interested, I'm attaching a couple of little videos of the kids playing with each other. Just so you know they aren't sad or anything. By the way, Brayden smells like a Philipino already. I think it's because all of the ladies like to play with him so their smells have rubbed off.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can't believe you guys are really there!!! Saw the video so I guess I believe you're there. Vegetarian for the next six months? You may lose about 10 pounds. LOL!

Should I send you some money to bring me back some clothes? :)

Ayana
1969 said…
I want some clothes!!! Where do I mail the check? LOL

Glad you are adjusting. The meat smell? Yup, that might make me a vegetarian too. UGH.

The kids are adorable.
Anonymous said…
That Danae is something else. I thought you were going to let her beat poor Brayden. They are too cute.

As for as becoming a vegetarian. I can understand. Enjoy yourselves. Deidra
Anonymous said…
Praise God you all made it there safely. Vegetarianism is a great way to go. You all have my support 100%.

What is you all's bank account so you all can purchase us some clothes. Did Dwayne tell you we want you all to bring us back some foreign money for our Currency Honor? We also would like pins(the ones that you attach to your shirt, hat, etc.

The 2nd video is too cute. Be safe. You all are in our prayers.
Anonymous said…
Well, it looks like the kids are adjusting so far. Yeah the smell would make me think twice about buying meat. I won't even attempt to send money for clothes because you would probably have to get a trunk. :-) Keisha
Anonymous said…
OK I know I am late responding but I am so excited about the clothes. I not going to send money because I am coming to get my own clothes. Do they have have nice shoes?

Crissy P.S. I was so excited about the clothes that I forgot to say I am glad you all are safe and happy.
It would actually be hard to purchase clothes as the sizes are a bit different from the US. I'll have to do a bit more research about it first. Haven't really seen a lot of cute shoes yet. But, I've only been in part of one mall and there are dozens of them. There are 3 malls in walking distance for me.
Anonymous said…
3 malls within walking distance??? Oh my that would be heaven for me (I think) :)

Ayana
Anonymous said…
i am so glad that yall made it safe!! The videos are so cute!! Please keep us updated. Coy is here and I iwll send his picture from the hospital so you can see what he looks like. Hope to figure out how to work the camera soon so that I can send some other pictures. Shaun

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s