Skip to main content

Domestic Violence

Yesterday, I watched a DVR'ed episode of an old Oprah show about the lady whose husband set her on fire. I always find it interesting that people let relationships get to that point. Granted, she was trying to break free but it seems it was too little, too late. Thankfully, I've never been in a violent relationship. And, although I say I would kill that fool in his sleep if he tried it, who knows what would really happen. No one would say "I'm going to stay and take it".

My parents never had those type of issues. The biggest arguments I remember were over watching certain TV shows on the "big TV". My dad always wanted to watch a game and my mom would stand in front of the television because she wanted to watch her show. We had 2 other televisions in the house but they both wanted that one. Silly parents!

I did have people I loved in those situations though. And, it's sad. Really. My cousin, F, has been married for about 25 years or longer to a man who has never been worth her affections. When we were little, they fought. I didn't see that very much but we all knew what was going on. He never provided for the family, frequently left home for extended periods of time, and of course he had the requisite mistress or 20 in his life. Complete with a couple of outside kids. The crazy part is that they're still together. They're too old for the fighting part anymore. They just co-exist in the same household in a weird relationship that only they know. They're comfortable with one another. Her self-esteem is so shot that she never thought she could do better. And, who would want a woman with 3 kids. What she didn't understand was that she didn't need someone else to want her. She needed to love herself.

So, of course, her daughter, A, followed her footsteps. She married only a few years ago who has cheated on her continuously. They fought. They have 2 children together. She had 1 previously and he had 3 previously. That's 6 children who get to watch the dysfunction all around. The only difference between her husband and her father is that he will go to work. She packed up her stuff one day and left. She said she was tired of being a fool every day. It's hard on her but she understands the danger of raising children in that environment.

The last example is my friend K. She married young and was involved in a physically violent relationship. This one is the most interesting to me. I would go home and see huge bruises on her thighs from where he stomped on her when she was already on the floor. Once, my husband and I were outside of their house and heard them fighting. I tried to get my husband to intervene but he didn't. He was upset because she was outside and went in with the full intent of starting some mess. She reveled in being the victim. She instigated a lot of stupid crap. She knew which buttons to push. Now, don't think I'm saying it's her fault. No one deserves to be hit and no man should hit a woman. Period. But, it is interesting that he is now remarried and is a very good husband. There is no fighting in this relationship. No drama. The thing is, K somehow got off on being a woman who was being beaten. She had no problem showing off her bruises, unlike most women who go through a lot to hide them. Most of her bruises were in hidden places but she would lift her pants leg or roll up her sleeves to make sure people knew what was going on. Weird, huh? The kicker is that he asked for a divorce because he wasn't satisfied with the dynamics of the relationship and knew it wouldn't work after they tried counseling. Does he really sound so horrible now? She was upset with him for ending the marriage.

I wrote all of this to say I still don't understand those type of relationships. I suppose you have to think very little of yourself to allow someone to treat you that way. I just hope and pray that my daughter never finds a man like that. If she does, I know her daddy will have no problem going in that house. And, my son better not ever become that man.

Comments

Anonymous said…
But then there is the other situation where you have left the home and now your ex-husband is stalking you and threatening your life. You just never know what a person will do. My cousin is in this situation now, she has a restraining order on him but he still does little things and the courts have even suggested that she leave the state to stay safe. We have a prayer vigil for her to help her make the right decision and stay safe.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
Interesting, one of my best girlfriends is in one of these situations. The last and final straw for her was when her husband poured a cup of hot coffee on her during an argument while their two young daughters were watching. She called the police who came out and said it was "no big deal." She cried to the police and said "what does it take for him to be arrested, my death!" This was the 5th time the police had been called out to their home for spousal abuse and it was only getting worse. She ended up in the ER with 2nd degree burns! She is now separated, has a restraining order and going through a divorce.
Latanya
Anonymous said…
Very true sentiments...and no woman thinks she'd be that woman but another interesting statistic is that 85% of women suffer from low self-esteem at some point in their life. The question is why? And how do we prevent it? Another interesting point is that the point and time that is most dangerous for a woman and her childreb in an abusive relationship is the point immediately before and the first 3 months after she leaves.

Lonna

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl