Skip to main content

Friends - How many of us have them?

Do y'all remember that song?

I was talking to Brayden's friend last week about friends. I thought Brayden's friend was actually mine but it seem he has claimed her for himself.

Anyway, I've been told by someone else that I'm too liberal with that 'friend' title. I don't know if I'm too liberal or that I'm guilted into calling people my friend. (Is guilted even a word? Hopefully, you know what I mean by that.) Here's the thing. There are some folks who introduce me as their friend when in my mind we're simply associates or people with common interests such as church or kids of the same age. Or, our husbands are friends which means we have to hang out sometimes.

If I really think about it, I have a short friend list. I'm very cool with this, by the way. There aren't a whole lot of people that I willingly let in and share my thoughts with. If you're reading this because I sent the link to you, I probably think of you as a friend. You will notice some people you may know are conspicuously absent. And, there are a few, who refuse to comment but rather send an email in response to my posts. It's because they're crazy. Because they're my friends I can say that.

Yes, I realize I keep going off on mini tangents.

So, the point is that I have been blessed to meet some lovely ladies and upstanding gentleman who I truly care about and consider a blessing in my life. People that I would keep in touch with (even if only by email) even if we didn't go to the same church or have kids of the same age. Don't feel bad if I don't call you; I barely call my own daddy and I love him for sure. I would ride or die for my friends. I would eat beans and rice or pb&j sandwiches if my friends needed financial help. We prosper together; we struggle together.

Now, what about you? Do you have a lot of friends? Are you liberal with that title or do you reserve it for those you really care about?

Oh yeah, I don't have a BFF although I have a friend from home who refers to me as her BFF. Um, we ain't got nothing in common besides our childhood. We are like night and day right now. She's still my girl but BFF is taking it a little too far. Every time I type BFF, I feel like I'm a kid again.

Alright, I'm out now.

Comments

bklynq said…
I don't have a lot of friends, I don't know if I'm liberal with that title or not the people I call my friend are truly my friends. Sometimes I want to email my comment too but I figure so what if people see my comment.
Anonymous said…
I don't have alot of friends because loyalty is very important and most people don't have that characteristic. I do sometimes call people my friends that are not truly my friends only to be polite. What do you say, these are my associates - that would be awkward.

As I get older, I have less and less true friends because some of those that I grew up with are no longer my friends because we are growing apart and then it is hard for me to get new ones because I am wiser and choose my friends carefully.

Red
*Tanyetta* said…
I know a lot of people, I come in contact with a lot of people. I call everyone a friend if I like them. As far as my close close friends, I don't have many of those. The older I get, the less any of this matters to me and that scares me a little. I'm human, I want friendships, I want to trust people, I want to share my life with others, I just don't have the energy as of late. Geez, I sound like Debbie Downer now huh? HAHA!!
TERA said…
I think we all know who we can depend on, trust with certain conversations and ask a favor of. So I guess the title doesn't really matter. Life is way too busy to worry about whether I call someone "friend" or not. I love everyone and hopefully that love is genuine. If that is true they will know how I feel about them without giving them a title.
Anonymous said…
I call myself having many friends. However, over the years I have gotten rid of some and gained others. I agree with Tera you eventually learn who is your true friend or one you can really count on.

Jenise
Anonymous said…
I may be a little liberal with the word friends but I think that's ok. I have noticed the circle of people I confide in getting smaller and I am so cool with that, not because I don't want any one to know my business but because I don't seek advice, help or understanding from just anyone.

Joelle
Anonymous said…
As I have gotten older I realize I don't have many friends. Yes, I know many people. And I usually say "hey this is my friend ______", so I guess I'm too liberal with that word too. But we all know the real meaning of the word "friend". And everyone you know can't possibly fit that definition.

Trinimerican

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl