Skip to main content

My take on MJ...

Since I was a child, I have always been fascinated by people's worship and admiration for Michael Jackson. Back in the 1980's, he used to rent out the Civic Center in Pensacola to practice and prepare for his upcoming tours. People would camp out nearby just to get a Michael Jackson sighting. Just to see his limo going by. Just for him to wave at them. All this, for a man who wouldn't even do a concert in Pensacola because we didn't have a large enough venue for him. Anywhere he went across the world, hordes of people would faint or become hysterical just because of his presence. Now, don't get me wrong. I had his pictures hanging on the walls in my room. I owned the red leather jacket with 5000 zippers everywhere. I had the white socks and penny loafers too. Shoot, I even had a MJ purse with his picture on the side. (I could probably make a pretty penny if I still had them.)

He was, and still is, a god to a lot of people. The true American idol. Even in the more recent years when he was but a caricature of his former self and hadn't put out new music, people still would sit in awe of him.

Yes, he was a talented man. Yes, he seemed to be a philanthropist. Yes, he had a troubled life. But, he was still a man. A man who was destined to crumble under the pressure that comes with knowing that millions of people expect greatness. A man who searched for perfection so much that he marred his previously beautiful face.

So, what's the point of this rant? Glad you asked. Seeing the world's fascination with his life and now his death and seeing the reports of the server crashing because of people trying to get tickets to his funeral makes me contemplative. What if we were as interested in seeing Jesus? What if we loved Him so much that we knew all of His word like we know MJ's songs? What if we took such an interest in His death and resurrection that we wanted to make sure everyone knew when it happened and what it means for us today? Writing this made me think about the hymn that says "Turn your eyes upon Jesus...so the things of this world will grow faintly dim." Satan uses any and every thing to turn us away from what should be our true focus. While we mourn the death of the greatest entertainer, while we learn lessons from his life, while we grieve for his family and kids, let even this bring us closer to Jesus and more ready for life eternal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen!!!

Red
TERA said…
Very well written!
Anonymous said…
so true!!!!

Trinimerican
Anonymous said…
Well said Bridge.
Joelle
Susan Kirby MCQ said…
Hello, my name is Susan Kirby and I am the family finder for the Marine Comfort Quilt group, a non-profit ministry which makes a quilt in honor of every fallen service member who loses their life in support of OIF. I have been trying to find contact information for Felicia Smith for quite some time with no success. Today I came across you blog and am hoping that you can get in contact with her and send her my information. My email is nunu1857@yahoo; my phonenumber at home in the evenings is 575 483-0480 anda t work it is 575 483-2706 (8-12 MST)Thank you very much, I am so sorry for your loss, my oldest sons best friend since 4th grade, LCPL Chad Hildebrandt, USMC, was KIA 10/17/05 while patrolling the Syrian border during elections. Please accept my heartfelt condolences and best wishes for your entire family. God bless, Susan Kirby, Springer, NM

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl