Skip to main content

How Do You Serve Others?

Our company is gone now, so I'm back to my blogging schedule (as if there ever was one).

If you've received an email from me, you have seen the following quote:
"The world cannot always understand one's profession of faith, but it can understand service." --Ian MacLaren

On Saturday, my family and I went on one of the best day trips since living in the Philippines. We met some of the most amazing people living in an amazing corner of the world doing an amazing job. What motivates them? The love of JESUS!

Before moving here, I was given the name of a couple here that we needed to meet. I conversed with this couple via email for a few months. Finally, they planned a trip to Manila to pick up supplies and we arranged to meet one another. So, in mid-January, I finally met Jim and Moni Webb. My Fondren friends should know who I'm talking about. They were two of the most passionate, friendly, humble people I've ever met. Dwayne wasn't with me when we met but I told him I was really interested in visiting them.

For a little background, Jim and Moni are an older couple who donated financially to missionary work for most of their lives. After retirement, they were asked to go to the Philippines for 6-9 months to assist with work there. They've been here almost 10 years now and live in Mamburao, Occidental Mindoro. They live and work with the indigenous Filipino people and most of you probably have no idea who I'm talking about. The Filipinos that we are familiar with are mostly descendants of Chinese or Malay immigrants to the Philippines. The indigenous group of people are much darker and smaller. They have been pushed farther and farther away from the cities here; many have to live in the mountainous terrain which offers a much harder way of life. These people have been purposely left out in terms of education, employment, technological advances, etc. Their life span is about 30 years shorter than the average Filipino.

To get to Mamburao, we had to ride by car about 2 hours to Batangas, then ride by ferry for 2 1/2 hours to Abra de Ilog in Occidental Mindoro, then another 45 minute ride to Mamburao. This just got us to Jim and Moni's house. To get to the villages they serve would have taken either a 6 hour hike or another boat ride.

Last year, they built a huge house that serves as an administrative building for the missionary work, a dormitory for the transitioning missionaries, provides jobs for the villagers, has a garden for food, and is basically a place where the villagers know they can get help or feel loved or anything else that's necessary. They have taught basic hygiene like bathing, brushing teeth, proper disposal of feces (ugh, I know), eating healthier, proper rest, and probably much more. They have instilled the importance of education which proved to be difficult because these people weren't allowed to learn and didn't really understand the importance. So far, they have built 3 elementary school and have plans to build a high school.

Most of the missionaries are very young people from the Philippines, American, and Australia. They have the most colorful stories to tell. They have the maturity of people twice their ages. Most of all, they possess such humility and love that it's almost tangible.

So, this all led Dwayne and I to question ourselves. How do I serve? What more can I do? We used to do a lot more like feeding the homeless, working in food banks, donating time. Now, we primarily donate money but it doesn't offer the same satisfaction as when we donate ourselves. Granted, money is definitely necessary because it allows the work to grow but we can do more than that. When our children were born, it definitely slowed us. You can't take them everywhere and there's not always a babysitter available. I believe God has been showing me ways that we can serve with them. The main thing that keeps coming to mind is visiting the elderly in nursing homes. So many have been forgotten and abandoned. I know my babies can bring a smile to their faces and I'm sure the elderly will bring a smile to ours as well. This is something I plan to begin next month when we go back home.

Now, I ask you all. What do you do? How do you make a difference? If you don't now, I'm not trying to pass judgment because I'm not doing much myself. But, I do ask that you think about it because there are so many people in our own cities that need our love.

As always, here are pictures.

The little boy is the son of Filipino missionaries. The lady is a high school teacher, named Lisa.

This couple are missionaries. He was telling us an interesting story about the 6 hour hike to take a little girl to a doctor. During the hike, they were literally covered by leeches.

Horrible picture but this was a Black guy from Atlanta named Leroy. He came over at the young age of 17 to teach the village children. He told us about the cobra snakes.

These two young ladies are both elementary school teachers. They had very touching stories about how they've seen beautiful changes in the lives of their young pupils.

This lady is an elementary teacher who is also teaching the mothers to read in the evenings. The little boy in the first picture is her son.

Husband of lady above. He's also a teacher and he was asked by the men in the village to teach them mathematics. This family is Filipino.

Brayden sitting on Jim's shoulder as he takes us on a tour of the property.

The vegetable garden.

Jim and Moni's house/Dormitory/Administrative building.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The funny thing is that I spoke with Andy about this the other day. We don't really do community service like we used to. That is amazing. Jim and Moni are just genuine people. I remember them from church when I was little. What a grat experience. You will miss all these execursions when you head back to the states.

Jenise
Anonymous said…
I remember Jim and Moni but I didn't realize where they moved to. I remeber he preached one time at church and I took a quote from his sermon and put it over my desk to encourage me while I was in school. I don't remember the quote now though.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
Seems like you had an enlightening experience. How do I serve others? Great question and challenge for everyone.

Ayana
Anonymous said…
We definitely must serve others. However, we must not forget about our families, immediate and extended. I think I serve others more than my extended families and if I don't help my family who will. So, I will take this challenge as a challenge to serve my extended family more.

Thanks for the challenge.

Red
Anonymous said…
Good question. I just said to myself how do I expect GOD to give me everything that I want when I can't do the small things that he has asked me to do. My problem is that I am not sure where or how I want to volunteer my time. I am working on it though.

Charissa

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl