Skip to main content

The Favorite Child

This is something I've always wondered about. Do parents have a favorite child? My parents did. It was me. I was also the only child so there was no competition. But, what about families with more than one? Like us.

I've been accused of having a favorite child. They say it's Danae. That's kinda funny to me because if you saw us at home, you would think opposite. When we sit to watch television or read a book, Brayden is always curled up in my lap or on my shoulder while Danae would prefer to sit with her daddy. But, he's not my favorite. He's just a mama's boy and she's a daddy's girl. We have no idea where #3 will fit in.

By the way, my due date is supposedly February 22nd but I don't think that's accurate.

Anyway, my stepmother clearly has a favorite child. And, she doesn't mind sharing that information. You would know it as soon as you walked in her house. She has tons of pictures of one child while you have to hunt for the pictures of the other two. Of course, my dad has pictures of me around too. My stepmother has 3 children, 2 daughters and a son.

Her favorite is her oldest daughter, R. She is a widow with no children, is very successful, and has quite a bit of disposable income. So, she treats her mom a lot. For instance, they just went on a Mediterranean cruise last month, she bought her a car, and they go on at least one vacation yearly together. Her other daughter, D, is a lesbian (which her mother disapproves of) and a minister (she was fired as a pastor because of her sexual orientation). Basically, she has proven to be a disappointment in her mom's eyes. Her son is an average guy. He's divorced with two children, isn't rich but also isn't in poverty. The last time he visited he told my dad he doesn't believe his mom loves him as much as the others. Isn't that a sad thing for a child to say?

So, guess which child visits the most? Yep, it's R. The other two don't. She and R talk daily while the other two are lucky if they hear from her once a week. It's a huge discrepancy. But, I'm not judging the situation. I'm very curious. Will this happen to me one day too? My hope is that I have a special bond with each child. I know we naturally cling to people who are more like us and share our interests but does that apply to our kids as well. I guess only time will tell.

Have any of you experienced this or seen it in other families?

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is interesting. I have not seen this in a family and I do not think I have experienced it either. Although when I was growing up I did think my sister was the favorite. My parents didn't treat me bad, I was just asked to do too much (in my opinion). I think it was because I was the oldest.

Trinimerican
Anonymous said…
I used to think my sister was the favorite, but then I realized she got what she wanted because she asked and had a reason for my parents to get it. Our parents treated us equally, but my sister would disagree because I got my braces at a certain age and when she turned that age she expected to get them too. I think we are well adjusted adults.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
I have seen it in other families and I have experienced it. My experience was not very bad, but I could tell the difference and tried not to let it bother me because this life just sucks sometimes and there was nothing I could do about it but tell them that I see it. Ultimately, I think it made me a better person.

Red
Anonymous said…
There was an interesting article in last month's Parent magazine on this very issue. The article said that at different times those of us with more than one child may have a favorite and that favorite can change depending on the circumstances. For example if one has really tested your parental limits for the day or if a child has done something that either reminds you of yourself or something you wish you could do. In any case I think most parents love their children equally but differently becuase they are not clones and have their own personalities.

Joelle
Anonymous said…
First of all I know that you nor Dwayne would ever be those parents because your not that kind of friend now. Anyway, I have never experienced this myself because my parents treated us equally although it is known that my little brother is my moms favorite. He was the only child to look like her and was the baby. I don't think my older brother and I cared too much. I do find it disappointing to treat your children unequally and I am sure God frowns upon it. I will pray for your stepmom and their situation.
Latanya
Anonymous said…
All parents have favorite just most don't want to admit it. Who is your favorite will also change at different times in your life. This is natural b/c ppl have different interests and so naturally you will be naturally to things about your child that are like you as well as your spouse as well as other family members. The problem becomes when that child being your favorite at that time blocks you from loving the other child/ children.

Lonna
Anonymous said…
All parents have favorite just most don't want to admit it. Who is your favorite will also change at different times in your life. This is natural b/c ppl have different interests and so naturally you will be naturally to things about your child that are like you as well as your spouse as well as other family members. The problem becomes when that child being your favorite at that time blocks you from loving the other child/ children.

Lonna

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl