Skip to main content

Bad Kids

One of my pet peeves is truly bad kids. I don't mean very active, bundles of energy that can't sit down. I don't mean kids who get into stuff they shouldn't. I'm talking about actually disobedient children. Otherwise, I wouldn't like my own kids because Brayden is the poster child for too much energy and Danae is the one who will say stuff that you really rather she keep inside.

I also know it's not really the child's fault. We all come into this world as a blank slate. Whatever is put in, usually comes right back out. So, maybe I should say my pet peeve is bad parenting. Let me get to the story.

Our next door neighbors fit this bill. They (especially the mom) are what would be considered white trash kind of people. But, she's really nice. These are the people who live in this home. The parents, a 20-ish daughter and her boyfriend, and the 5 year old son. They have another son around 18 but I'm not sure he lives here anymore. The first time I met them, when we moved here, the father and then 13 year old son were in the middle of the street having a very loud argument, complete with all manner of profanity. At about 7:00 in the morning. Crazy!

My focus today is on the 5 year old. He doesn't go to school. He just turned 5 within the last month or so and his mom doesn't want him in an actual school until kindergarten. I have no problem with that because I plan to do the same with my kids. But, here's the thing. She spends no time with him during the day. He is out of the house very early in the morning. As a matter of fact, he walks to the bus stop with the other kids every day to see them off to school. He is usually shirtless and shoeless, even in this cooler weather. When it's too cold, he will wear a shirt and shoes but I've never seen him in a jacket. He plays outside almost all day and is usually out before his mom wakes up for the day.

He likes to come to our house to play when my kids are outside. It's usually not a problem. At first, he would be over here cussing but I told him it's not acceptable here so that stopped. Once, he tried to push Brayden off Danae's trike, but both Danae and I stepped to him. Danae was about to knock him down! She can kill her brother if necessary but nobody else better not even think about touching him. Sibling love at its finest! So now he knows that he can come here to play but there are rules. And he abides by them for the most part. He once asked me what would happen if my kids cussed at me or hit me, I told him they would get a spanking. And I told him the same goes for him. Shock and awe!

So, on Monday (I think) we were outside because it was such a nice day. Neighbor kid came over to play too. His mom needed to leave to go to the store and came to get him. He straight up cussed her out and told her no. She then said "You don't have to speak so rudely. I said come on." He said "She (meaning me) will watch me." I countered by telling them we would be going in soon. Then he said "I'll go but only if you promise to buy me a toy." Do I really need to tell you who won this argument?

Who's the parent here?

I actually feel sorry for him. When he's out early, he hasn't eaten so I've let him eat breakfast with us sometimes. I've fixed him sandwiches.

I also worry about him. He's still very young and wanders around alone a lot. He's a prime candidate for a kidnapper or sexual predator or something like that. I also worry about how he'll be as he grows up. With no discipline and structure now, what will he do as a teen and adult?

Our nickname for him in our house is Huck Finn, by the way. Sometimes, Dwayne and I talk about him in his face but he doesn't even know it.

Comments

bklynq said…
That is sad and funny at the same time. He is going to end up being preyed on on prey on someone when he grows up.
Anonymous said…
Umm..Huck? I am ROFL!!! Y'all are too silly. I feel sorry for him too though. Who knows how his life will be......

Trinimerican
Anonymous said…
That is so unfortunate. However, this may be an opportunity for you and the family to witness, not only to the boy but his family. You all can teach him alot and maybe he will turn out good. Because if he turns out bad when he is older he may do something to someone in the neighborhood.

Red
*Tanyetta* said…
What Red said.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl