Skip to main content

Desperate Housewives...

don't know nothing 'bout healthcare in the Philippines. At least, I hope not because we had to take Danae to the doctor yesterday. Why? Because she woke up with rashes and blisters on her arms and legs. We had absolutely no idea of what was going on. The only thing we could think was bug bites. Only, the rest of us were untouched. But then we remembered. On Friday, we went to a couple of preschools to find something for Danae to do. She ran off playing with the other kids. Had to happen there. We still took her to the doctor though because Dengue Fever is common 'round these parts. And, we've only been here a week and she kept complaining that her legs were hurting and acting like she couldn't walk. So, to the doctor we went.

The doctor we were referred to by ARM (Asian Relocation Management) is actually an American woman named Carolyn Butler. She practiced in NY and NJ and went to school in the US. She's a blond white woman. Only, she says she was born and raised in the Philippines. She has absolutely no accent but I'll believe whatever she wants us to. The diagnosis is that Danae is seriously allergic to Filipino mosquitoes. She prescribed an antibiotic cream for her and that was the end.

Now on to pharmacies. I must give props to American pharmacists (esp Keisha, Marcus, and Lonna 'cause they're my friends). At these pharmacies, they don't say anything. They hand you your medicine and that's it. No instructions on how to use it. So, you basically have to remember what the doctor says. Or try to read the prescription since they give that back to you too. One of Dwayne's coworkers got a prescription for something. He didn't realize until he got home that they just put the pills in a ziploc bag until he got home. He had to wait until the next morning to call the doctor to find out how many pills he should take and how often. Let's hope none of us have to visit the doctors or hospitals anymore while we're here...just in case Desperate Housewives was telling the truth.

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL @ the Desperate Housewives comment. You know they had to apologize for that right?

I'm so sorry Danae is allergic. I think Danae and Jenise have alot in common, for real.

Ayana :)
Anonymous said…
Poor baby...I know how she feels with that rash thing. At least you caught it before it got out of hand. That pharmacy situation is a fool. Thank God for the Texas State Board of Pharmacy!

Marcus
Anonymous said…
Thank you for any state board of pharmacy. How do you take medicine with no directions? But I'm glad you found out what was wrong with Danae.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
She truly is related to me. I am going to seriously thinking about visiting you guys again if the mosquitos are going to be that serious. On of my coworkers did warn me about the mosquitos when I come to visit. Please keep that medicine handy for me to share with Danae.

Jenise
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the rph props. An international shout out. Anyway yeah I have that problem with mosquitos the first time i went to jamaica same thing I still have some scars left on my leg from that. Then Trinidad while i was in college same thing. Make sure you don't get dengue fever u can only safely get each strain one time in life. Ya'll keep living it up and be safe
Lonna

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl