Skip to main content

Hair and Yayas

Yesterday, the kids and I ventured out a bit. We went to the grocery store where three ladies stared at our hair and kept talking to one another in Tagalog. Finally, the older lady asked if she could touch my hair. I said yes but she couldn't reach me because the stroller was in the way and I wasn't trying to move it. Then, she asked Danae if she could touch hers. Danae said "no, you cannot touch my hair". That was too funny but I told the lady she could if she wanted to. The lady said "no ma'am she doesn't want me to". Then she asked if she could touch Brayden's hair and I said yes. So she started massaging my baby's head until he knocked her hand down. I had heard before I came here that people would do that because they've never seen black folks hair before.

We ate lunch at Wendy's. They have about 4 of the same meals as the US. But, they also sell shrimp sandwiches, fried chicken, and rice of course. The kids ate fried chicken and rice. I ate a chicken sandwich meal. My kids tore that rice up too. An older lady asked me what was my nationality. I told her I'm American. She then stared at the kids for a while. Then she asked "what about their father's nationality". I said he's American too. She looked so shocked. I told her there are black people in America. She said "really I didn't know that". LOL!

Filipinos have no concept of personal space and will ask anything that comes to their mind. It's nothing to be asked your age, clothing size, family info, etc.

It's very common here to have some kind of domestic helper: driver, maid, cook, nanny. We don't need a maid because this building has people come to straighten up the apartment every day. We're being assigned a driver because Dwayne's company doesn't allow their employees to driver over here. But we are thinking of hiring a nanny or yaya as their called here. We interviewed a lady named Betty yesterday. She seems nice and the kids liked her. I've scheduled another lady name Lucy to come today as well. We'll see how that goes. Although we have a maid's quarters in our apartment, I really don't want anyone living here. We Americans like our privacy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Girl, you are experiencing sooo much. Glad you are documenting for us. :) Aren't you glad you took that class about their culture? You know I'm in shock over here right? LOL!!!
Anonymous said…
That was my comment.

Ayana
Anonymous said…
Hey Bridgette,

Girl that is too crazy. Interviewing for a Yaya huh. I guess you are moving on up to the east side. You might just be a little too boojy for us when you return back to the states.

deidra
Anonymous said…
Bridge,
There is sooo much going on in you alls life now. A yaya,wow, so if you get a yaya what are you going to do during the day? I don't know if I could deal with all the questions and personal space invasion.
Keisha
Your Girl said…
so yes, i'd also like to know what your plans are for the next six months. will the kids go to any type of school? or do you have big plans for when the kids are with yaya?

so many questions, so little time! this is such an amazing experience for you. take lots of pictures and live it up for us!

xo
Anonymous said…
Well I am enjoyng the stories. Come on black people in america. Everyone knows that. They must not study world history in school. The Yaya sounds interesting.

Jenise

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl