Skip to main content

Duck Embryo, Anyone?

We have seen exactly 5 black people since arriving in Manila. We didn't expect to see a gang of black folks so it's not a big deal. But because there are so few people of color around these parts, every time we go out we're treated like celebrities. People stare at us and point us out to their unsuspecting friends. We're allowed in the mall without our bags being searched. We never have to open our own doors or anything. We just have to deal with being stared at...intently. Because we do get MTV our here and have to listen to 50 Cent in between the Christmas songs at the store, even the Filipinos have stereotyped black folks. For instance, the waiter in our building asked Brayden where his bling-bling was. We didn't even know how to respond. A waiter at Hard Rock Cafe proceeded to tell us he visited Miami before and the black people were so nice much to his surprise. Crazy!

A few interesting things about Filipinos:
They will get all in your business. It's not uncommon to be asked personal questions upon first meeting each other.
Even out here, the color of your skin is a big deal. They prefer to be as pale as possible and are treated better because of it. So, in the stores there is a plethora of skin whitening creams and lotions. Pretty sad, huh?
They really admire Americans (for whatever reason) and will go out of their way to make you happy or to help you. We're always greeted as "sir" and "mum" (ma'am) and by everyone. They think all Americans are rich. I'm sure this is fueled by all the Hollywood images here. Yes, we still have to listen to stories about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. No escaping it.

A Filipino delicacy is balut. This is a "fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell." We've been told that we have to try it but that's not happening. Supposedly, it's an aphrodisiac. They warn you to eat it outside at night so you can't actually see what it is you're eating and to not consume this on an empty stomach. I was going to post a picture but instead just click here and you'll see and learn all you want to. Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting!!! It is funny how Americans are gettiing tans to be darker. Man it sounds like you are on a long never ending vacation. I going to see if I can move to another country (just joking). By chance have you seen any churches there?

Crissy
Anonymous said…
How disgusting, that picture was not appealing at all.
Keisha
The only churches I've seen are Catholic. That's the predominant religion here.
Anonymous said…
Ummmm...you know I'm picky right? But I love to eat. Those pics....I would be a vegetarian too if I were there.

Ayana
Anonymous said…
Bride!! I'm so behind in everything. Are you kidding me?? Please don't eat that mess! I want you all to come back wholesome and complete. I'm sure you're having fun on all of the adventures though. How does it all "really" feel? I miss you all...Love you too.
Nee'
Your Girl said…
okay, the fertilized duck egg = gross.

but you are in a land of nothing but people of color! though you do stand out, i'm sure you're not running into to many people lacking color. enjoy it! ;-)
Anonymous said…
You better not try that. It doesn't soun appealing at all.

Jenise
Anonymous said…
I LOVE the Philippines!

Are you talkin' about the Hard Rock in Makati? They know me up in there! Like, for real for real...

And as far as Balut? Check out my entry here: http://bruthacode.com/?p=165

I had some... never again. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl