Skip to main content

Little Miss Independent!


I've been accused of showing favoritism with my son. I don't love him more than Danae. He's just different. He loves to take pictures and to be the center of attention. Danae prefers to be in the background most of the time. As you can tell, she didn't want to take the above picture. She would only take it with the sticker on her forehead and if I promised to take the picture all the way at the bottom of this post. Of course, she has superstar moments too but not as much as him. So, he just provides more material for my blog. Anyway this entry is all about her.

Danae is in school now...kind of. She attends Gymboree's GLLP Program. This is like a preschool. It's 3 days a week and lasts 2 1/2 hours each session. This is only her second week but it's going well so far. She really loves being with other children her age. She's the only American and the others are Filipinos.

Dwayne and I looked at other schools but chose Gymboree. It's in walking distance since it's connected to our building. More importantly, she won't be under as much pressure as the other preschools. The international schools for children of expats are incredible. They really push the children to achieve excellence. That's all good except my baby is only 2 years old...well she'll be 3 on January 21st but she's too young for all that pressure. Of course, we want her to excel but she has time. We want her to enjoy herself. So, she needs time away from mommy and with other people her age. Mommy needs time away from her too.

So, her first day was cool. I stayed with her for about 30 minutes. I snuck out and she looked worried so I stayed where she could see me through the window. Then, she got comfortable and forgot all about me. Now, she loves school and can't wait to go. Here are a couple of school pics:



Danae is very independent. She likes to do things by herself. She prefers to go in her classroom alone. She wants to do everything she sees us do and gets very frustrated if she can't. She's also a serious perfectionist. On the other hand, she is very affectionate and caring. If you hurt, she hurts...seriously. She fights with her brother like most siblings but is fiercely protective of him. Basically, she can treat him like crap but nobody else can even try it.

She's also funny. This morning at breakfast, an older black man walked in. She said "Mommy, do you see the grandfather?" I asked her why she said that. It was because he was dark (like her grandfathers) and old. I guess he made her think of her own grandpas. She also likes to mimic the Filipinos. She knows their accents, words, diction, everything. She has us rolling when she gets going with that. She can imitate her yaya too.

She remembers everything. People, places, specific events. The other day she was talking about the Fourth of July celebration we attended in San Ramon. She described it in detail. She talks about her godparents' wedding a lot and her friends from Houston even though we haven't lived there since early March of last year.

So, like any mother I think my almost 3 year old is simply amazing. Here she spelled her name with stickers of her belly. Isn't that a cute little belly?

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is nice to hear that she is in school and loving it. I can't wait to see you all again. She acts like her godmother.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
I am glad she enjoys school. We can't wait to see you all again either. I can't wait to see how they interact with our daughter.

Red
Anonymous said…
Danae is too cute. Tell her I said "hi" and Happy Birthday b/c yes I forgot; but then again I usually remember her b-day b/c it's the same day as one of my favorite cousin's b-day and I forgot his too (Being on call every 4th ngiht is getting to my brain)

Lonna

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl