Skip to main content

Coup D'etat

Yesterday, two men attempted a coup on the Philippine government. President Arroyo has been under fire for years now because of alleged corruption in her government. Of course, I don't know enough information to form my own opinion. But, it does seem that many Filipinos don't trust her or the government. Anyway, yesterday morning I got a call from Dwayne advising me to stay inside because something was going.

Four years ago, a man named Senator Trillanes attempted a coup. He and his supporters from the Philippine military laid siege to a hotel called The Oakwood. This hotel has been renamed and is the place where we currently reside. This was a tidbit of information they forgot to include in our expat counseling sessions. Anyway, he took over the hotel for a day and thankfully no one was hurt. He ended up surrendering and being arrested. Yesterday, Trillanes was on trial for this coup attempt when he and Brigadier General Lim (a witness at this trial) walked out of court with defected soldiers. They marched down Makati Avenue and barged into the Peninsula Hotel. They were calling for President Arroyo to step down as president. This, of course, did not happen. The Philippine military that did not defect eventually charged into the hotel with a tank and tear gas. Again, Trillanes and his sympathizers were arrested after a standoff that lasted around 6 to 7 hours.


The first picture is the exterior of the Peninsula Hotel and the second is the lobby. At least, this is what it used to look like before this mess happened. Here are a couple of pictures of the hotel during the standoff.



The next picture is of Trillanes. He's the guy in black.

And the last two pictures are of the Philippine military getting ready to take the rebels down.


The crazy thing is that most Filipinos were not at all alarmed by these events. They just went about business as usual because they are used to coup attempts. They happen almost yearly and especially around the holidays. Today is a national holiday, Bonifacio Day.

So, in the two months we've been here the following things have occurred: a bombing at Glorietta Mall which is attached to our building, a bombing at the House of Representatives building, an earthquake, a fire in a restaurant in our building, a couple of typhoons, and now a coup attempt. So far we haven't really been scared of anything. Well, the tanks rolling down the street yesterday was a little unsettling. But, for the most part, I still feel pretty safe. Just thought I would share what's going on in our neck of the woods.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just thought you would share huh? Thanks for sharing and we are glad to hear that you all are safe and know that God is watching over you all.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
Alrighty then. That definitely makes my day look like nothing. But I am O.K. with that. Thank God He is keeping you all safe and at peace.
Anonymous said…
You and your family are safe. Thank God. Aren't you glad you know Him? :)

Ayana

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl