Skip to main content

Vacation in Cebu Continued...

Okay, so where did I leave off? I covered Day 1 so on to Day 2, November 2nd.

This was All Souls Day. On both All Saints Day and All Souls Day, Filipinos have a family reunion at the graves of their loved ones. They spend most of the day there eating food, cleaning off the graves, and socializing. It's so serious that several streets around the cemeteries are cordoned off to help control the amount of people there. This is a serious religious event and we gave our yaya the day off so she could spend the time with her family as well.

We went to Bohol for the day. This is on an island near Cebu. We took the hour long ferry over. Again, we took a tour. The Cebu tour was private so it was only us and the guide. The Bohol tour was with a group. So, the ferry dropped us off in Tagbilaran, Bohol. We boarded a bus and went off. Our first activity was the Loboc River Cruise. We floated down the river eating lunch and listening to music. There was a man on board playing his guitar and singing. He was really good. He sang a lot of old 70's Soul music and sounded good. When I closed my eyes, I was instantly transported to my childhood when my dad would play his records and we would dance together. He was good, y'all. The lunch was okay. I almost fed my children squid though. It was mixed in with bok choy and I didn't see them. Ugh! They had other things that we could eat though. The river was beautiful and we made a stop to visit the Abi tribe. They are an indigenous tribe in Bohol. They played music and performed dances and otherwise entertained us. It was good though. Dwayne and the kids joined in with the little drummers. They were playing on strategically placed bamboo. Dwayne was good too...much better than the others on this cruise. Here's pictures:









After the cruise, we headed to visit the tarsiers. This is the smallest primate in the world. It's status as a primate has been debated quite a bit because it is quite unlike the monkey. We thought it was such a cute little animal though. An interesting thing to note is that they don't handle captivity well. In fact, in this enclosure, there is no top so they do leave at night (they're nocturnal animals) to go hunt. They return to the enclosure because the owners have made it extremely suitable to their needs. Anyway, when captive, they basically commit suicide. Tarsiers have fontanels (soft spots) on the back of their heads. When captive, they continuously bang their heads until they die. Sad, huh? Here are pictures of them though. I saved the cutest tarsiers for last ;)







After visiting the tarsiers, we headed to Chocolate Hills. This is an unusual area composed of over 1,200 hills. During the dry season, the grass turns brown which is where the name comes from. Unfortunately, it was raining when we got there and the kids were napping. And, we would have to climb over 200 steps to get the best view. So, Dwayne and the others went up while the kids and I waited. We still got to see the hills though. Here are just a couple of pics to give you an idea.

We also visited a Catholic church in Bohol named Immaculate Concepcion but no pictures. It was built in 1595 and much of the original church, and its furnishings, are still intact. The inside was made of coral stone. There were quite a few people worshiping inside so we didn't stay very long. The next site was to see a sculpture called The Blood Compact. It commemorates a compact between Spanish explorer Miguel Lopez de Legazpi and Datu Sikatuna, the chieftain of Bohol in 1565. This was a treaty of friendship between the two where they each made a cut in their arms and mixed a few drops of their blood with wine. Each man drank the blood of the other.
This was the last stop on the tour before heading back to the ferry and over to Cebu. On Saturday, we just hung out at the resort. We finally swam that evening and just relaxed. We came back to Manila on Sunday afternoon. It was a very nice vacation and, as you can see, very educational.

Filipino culture reminds me of American culture in that it is a mixture of cultures of other countries. They will proudly tell you that they speak like Americans, eat like Chinese, and worship like Spaniards.

Until later...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, your vaction was great. I'm glad you didn't give your kids squid, I don't think they would have liked it ;). Sounds like a busy vacation but I'm glad you all got to get away for awhile.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
Sounds great. Those last two tarsiers were the cutest! :) Brayden is getting so big!!! So glad you guys could get away for a little relaxation.....Have you had any more massages/mani/pedi?

Ayana
Anonymous said…
I promise you guys get to do some of the coolest things. Your vacation sounds truly amazing. At least I get to live it through your blog. I know you get busy, but don't stop writing. This is how I keep up with the family. Miss you guys.

Nazah
P.S. We are expecting #2.
Mrs. Glenn said…
Hey there Bridge!! All I can say is I live vicarously through you so please keep going with the blogs and the pictures. What cool adventures yours kids get to have and you guys always do a great job documenting so they can see themselves when they get older. Wow, your kiddies are already so well traveled, and they're not even in kindergarten yet!! :)

Nika
Anonymous said…
Your commentary is awesome. Detail but not burdensome. How can I print this info. including the pictures? This would be good in a scrapebook.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl