Skip to main content

Vacation in Cebu

This post is a little late. For some reason, I just haven't felt like blogging. I have a lot to write about but just not motivated to do so. I'm going to try to get back in the swing of things.

We took a trip November 1-4 to Cebu. This City is about an hour's flight away. It's south of Manila in the Visayas Region. Manila is divided into three regions: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. We live in Luzon. Mindanao is where a lot of terrorist regimes thrive and do their damage. Actually, it's only a small part of Mindanao. Anyway, we went to Cebu. This was a holiday weekend. November 1st is All Saints Day and November 2nd is All Souls Day. So, Dwayne had those days off from work. As I may have stated before, about 85% of Filipinos are Catholic. There is no separation of church and state here so a lot of religious days are considered national holidays.

In Cebu, we stayed at the Plantation Bay Resort. A few pictures:




On November 1st, we took a tour of Cebu. We visited Allegre, a guitar factory. It was kind of interesting to hear about the process of making guitars. They use different types of wood to get different sounds and they have to age the wood to get richer tones. The guy in the picture convinced us to but a cocolele, a ukulele made out of coconuts. We thought it would be cool to have. It even came with instructions written in Japanese. A couple of pics:

Our next stop was to see Magellan's Cross. Ferdinand Magellan 'discovered' the Philippines and planted a cross here. This is how Catholicism was introduced to this area. The actual cross is encased inside the wooden cross. They had to cover it because the Filipinos would scrape some of the wood off, grind it, and mix it in their drinks for good luck. Again, a few pics:

Next stop was the Basilica del Santo Nino. This church was built in 1735. The original was constructed in 1566 but destroyed by fire. This church houses the image of the Santo Nino, or baby Jesus. This image is over 400 years old and is encased in glass. The parishioners must knock on the glass 3 times before making their request known. Because we visited on All Saints Day, there were more people there than usual. They stood in a line outside the church waiting to pray to the Santo Nino. The people believe that if they pray to this image, the prayer will be answered. There were also a lot of historic paintings and other sculptures of Jesus and saints in and just outside this church. For some reason, Dwayne didn't take a picture of the Santo Nino but he got some other shots there. An interesting thing to see is the parishioners wave when they walk in the church. We asked Tony, the tour guide, what that was about. They wave to the saints when they walk in and leave just as we wave hello and goodbye to one another. Pictures follow:







The next stop was to the Taoist Temple in a neighborhood called

There were people worshiping in this temple but you're not allowed to take pictures inside. To get to the temple we had to climb 9 sets of stairs that each had 9 steps for a total of 81 steps. That can be very tiring when you're holding a little one. The last picture is one that Dwayne took of us after he climbed even more steps to look at other temples. There were several temples there, each dedicated to a different god. Here are a few pictures:



We also went to see a huge sculpture in Cebu. It tells the history of the country. Dwayne got it on video because pictures wouldn't have done any justice. It was nice though. Then, we went to a place to buy souvenirs. It was a bit expensive so I just bought a fan and Dwayne bought a t-shirt for his coworker who set up this trip.

Since this post is a little long, I'll post about the trip later. Yes, I realize the date on the pictures is 10/31. For some reason, the date is off. Let me know if you like having a post with pictures and maybe I'll continue it that way (when I feel like it).

Until later,

Comments

Anonymous said…
i like pictures.
Lonna
Anonymous said…
This was a very interesting blog. I like the pictures. Brayden is really getting big.

Charissa
Anonymous said…
Yes, we like pictures. I was wondering what happened to you, you know I check the blog everyday. That trip looked like fun. It's interesting to hear what other people believe.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
This is a great blog. You should be a historian. The pictures are great because it gives us a visual of what you are talking about. I feel like I am living my trips through you.

Jenise
Anonymous said…
Love love love love pics!!! Makes me feel like I am there with you. I was watching bizarre foods one afternoon and they guy was in Manila. He tried the duck egg thing you blogged about before. :)

Ayana
Anonymous said…
Yes, continue with the pictures. Remember, pictures are worth a thousand or more words. I really enjoyed the information also. Thank you for taking the time to blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl