Skip to main content

Hong Kong Continued

January 22:
We decided to take a tour of Hong Kong. First we stopped at a Man Mo Temple which is dedicated to the gods of Literature (Man) and Martial Arts (Mo). This temple is notable because of its many brass and pewter incense burners. There was incense everywhere! Hanging from the ceiling and on every table. For the people who came there to worship, they brought food with them, usually apples and oranges, to offer the gods. There was a table for fortune telling. It was way too smoky so we didn't stay long. In the pictures, the coils hanging from the ceiling are incense.





From there we headed to Victoria Peak. We had to ride the world's steepest railway up to the peak of 428 meters where we saw the view of the harbor and the Kowloon Peninsula. It was a bit foggy but I'm sure on a clear day it is spectacular.



The next stop was to the Aberdeen Fishing Village. We rode a sampan through a traditional fishing village. It was pretty interesting as most families have several boats: the fishing boat, the house boat, and then a small boat to ferry the children back and forth to school.





From there we ended up at Dynasty Jewellery Manufacturer. Yes, that's how jewelry was spelled. It was kinda interesting to watch the men cut and polish the diamonds. But, the jewelry there was way expensive and we were there for a very long time with the people trying to convince us to purchase something. A group of Spanish women bought several items. The rest of us just hung out. My kids found a little spot to play.




Of course the tour ended at Stanley Market. Gotta squeeze every dime out of ya. On to the next day.

January 23:
We went over to Macau. We visited the Ruins of St. Paul's. This was once the largest Catholic church in East Asia and was built in the 1600's. In 1835, the church burned down but the front facade remained intact. So, that's what we looked at. It was pretty cool actually. We even made friends. Actually, we don't know them. But the lady with the beige jacket was mesmerized by Danae, especially her hair. She asked to take a picture with us. Her friends jumped in too. Dwayne was laughing because we're all smiling like we're old friends. I was actually laughing at the absurdity of it all.




There was a fort there as well with a ton of canons. Of course, people were selling souvenirs and gawking at the black folks. I have to add Danae's ANTM pose. Dwayne was holding ice on Brayden's head. He decided to try to jump and fell on the concrete. Danae found this place, posed, and said "Mommy, take my picture please." Fierce!



We went to yet another temple with more incense. Actually, Dwayne went in while the kids took a much needed nap. We visited another Catholic church where Danae decided to have a little prayer session and we got a decent family picture.




We walked around Macau a bit. We ended up at a factory outlet which was just a room with a bunch of clothes inside. I bought a Ralph Lauren outfit and Dwayne got a Polo shirt. We didn't really feel like sifting through all the clothes. They were cheaper than in the malls but still not quite what I expected.

We left January 24th and I can now say I've been to Hong Kong. I thoroughly enjoyed myself but probably won't return anytime soon. Why? Because there are way too many other countries to visit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so glad that you all had a good time. You could definitely tell from the pictures.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
Whew. Travel, travel, travel. You all must be tired. I am glad you all had fun. Keep sending the pictures and blogging. I look forward to reading and seeing where you all will travel before coming back to the U.S.

Red
Anonymous said…
a fishing village. that sounds very cool. Imagine taking a boat everywhere. I need to make it out to that side of the world one of these days.
Lonna

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl