Skip to main content

When I hurt I write...

so please just bear with me. I've been reminiscing a lot the last 24 hours.

I was 3 years old when I first fell in love. In fact, my first real memory is when Javares (Jay) was a newborn baby. I was so amazed at this beautiful baby doll who was actually alive. I begged to hold him but of course the adults were wiser than that. I was given a job though. When they would lay him on the sofa it was my job to sit on the edge and make sure he didn't roll off. I took it very seriously. If he even flinched I was ready to save him. I was his protector.

As I said, he lived with us for several years. We were inseparable. We had matching underoos as kids. He was Superman and I was Wonder Woman. He was Batman, I was Batgirl. For one of my mother's high school reunions they went on a cruise. Jay went too of course. We had so much fun running around that ship and gorging ourselves with all the yummy food. When he lived with us we shared a room. Something happened with my closet door and it was removed. He was afraid of the clothes at night because he thought they were people coming to get him. My mom had to hang a curtain there because he couldn't sleep. I would stay up with him at night because I was his protector.

His mom treated him like crap a lot of the time. She took advantage of his love. He cut hair for the boys in the neighborhood. She stole his money. She chose the love of her husband (his stepfather) over doing the right thing for her children. When we were little children (about 2 and 5), his grandmother was on her death bed. His mom was supposedly more settled then. She would sometimes babysit me when my mom had to work. His mom would leave us in the bed with my sick aunt for hours with one grilled cheese sandwich on the nightstand. She could barely walk so we just played in the bed beside her. We would all have to share the sandwich until someone came. He loved her through it all. There was a time when I hated her because of how she treated Jay but I was powerless. I still wanted to be his protector.

As we grew, our roles changed. If other kids would try to start trouble with me, he would stand up to them. If a boy hurt my heart, he was always there. Before I married, he would always tell me that I had a good man in my life and that he entrusted my care to my husband. When we prepared to move to the Philippines, he reassured me and encouraged me to fully enjoy the opportunity to live in another country. He said it would be wonderful even though I was scared. He became my protector.

I love him so and can't imagine never seeing him again. Never hearing his laugh. Never getting another big bear hug. Never getting another email.

I'm going to speak at his funeral. He deserves a loving tribute but I don't know what to say to comfort others when it's hard for me to stop crying. I just know that he meant the world to me and I'll miss him.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. I love you, Latanya.
Anonymous said…
Just speak from your heart. I'm sure they will find comfort in your words, even if you can't finish they will find comfort. I'm sure the fact that you are coming gives them comfort.
Keisha
Anonymous said…
You have more strength than you realize. Speak from heart and you won't go wrong.

Ayana
Anonymous said…
I knew Jay the last few months of his life, and talked to him less than an hour before the accident. He is a really nice person. I read your blog and smiled because he had told me the closet story, and about the cruise to Bahamas with your family. Also, when he moved out at 15 because his mom took his paycheck from his job and cashed it.
Jay touched a lot of hearts, and we will miss him here at Camp Buehring. There is a memorial on Saturday. Let me know if you would like some pics.

Anon.
Camp Buehring, Kuwait.
Anon. at Camp Buehring ---

Yes, I would love pictures from the memorial. Your comment brought a smile to my face. Thank you for commenting.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl