Skip to main content

My Sunshine on a Cloudy Day


Dwayne will be back in town tomorrow afternoon and we are very happy about that. I'm a little upset that I didn't go too. That was our plan, initially. But we would've had to get the kids down to Florida to either set of the grands. Or, we would've taken them with us. Sometimes, I don't even feel like packing them up to go to Walmart so I wasn't extremely interested in crossing the pond with them in tow. It just felt like too much of a hassle so I opted out of the trip. The cold weather there added to that decision.

Dwayne and I were talking before he left. We both love to travel and want to visit so many places. What better way to go than on the company's dime. They really treat you well. Dwayne has proven to be a good employee for them so he's gotten opportunities he never even dreamed of getting. His former boss is still trying to get him to Angola simply because of his work ethic. That's impressive.

I didn't really start writing this post to brag about him or anything. But as I type, I think of the man he has become. We met and started dating when I was 19 and he was 20. We are very different people now. I love the fact that we started dating so young because we were able to grow up together and build our lives together. And, trust me I needed to settle my little wild behind down. There was no need for a prenup because neither of us had anything. No separate bank accounts to keep my money away from his. Everything that we own belongs to us.

The thing I'm most proud of though is his unwavering belief in God. When he started working at his current job he was told he wouldn't go far because he went to a black college and he doesn't work on Sabbath. His answer was that his God is bigger than everyone in the company. If God determines that he should advance, he will. His job has allowed him to visit three continents for free. He has worked on many different projects giving him a lot of exposure both within and without his company. I think the reason is because he is not afraid or ashamed to share God's love with those around him.

After one of the kids was born, I went to his office so he could show his baby off. You should have heard the things the people said. They talked about how he is so calm and how he is a true Christian. I had to make sure we were talking about the same person with that calm comment. In the Philippines, he was always having spiritual conversations with the people there. The country is over 95% devout Catholics. His coworkers talked about how much they respected him. I asked him if he was going around preaching or something. He said he has just been given a lot of opportunities to talk about his faith. When an event happens during the Sabbath, he is asked why he won't be there. When they go out to business dinners or other outings and he's the only one who doesn't drink, they ask him why. When he chooses not to eat certain foods, he gets to explain that his body is a temple of the Holy Ghost and he doesn't just put anything in there.

What a great testimony he has become. He has truly become a man that I hope and pray my son emulates as an adult. I want Brayden to grow up to be hardworking, loving, outgoing, and someone who will stand for his beliefs even if everyone around him falls. And I want Danae and "Delicious" to marry someone like their daddy.

I love being married to him. Our marriage is better today than ever before. We had to cross some horrible roads to get here and sometimes we weren't sure we would make it through. But, it seriously couldn't be better. We know our love can stand the test of time. We now know how to avoid learning lessons the hard way. We know how to communicate and love each other.

I really hope you all recognized the title. My daddy used to sing that song to me all the time when I was a little girl. It's from "My Girl" by the Temptations.

Comments

bklynq said…
I'm glad your sunshine on a cloudy day will be home tomorrow.
*Tanyetta* said…
I LOVED THIS POST SO MUCH!

Brag on your husband. Let the heavens and the earth rejoice with you. So many times too often, people take the time to complain about their spouses instead of lifting them up. I truly appreciate that you are so happy and proud of your relationship! Speak on it ;)

Your husbands sounds like an amazing man and he's smart for choosing you too :)
Anonymous said…
Wonderful!!! I love it when married people are happy with each other and show it. Keep up the good work Dwayne and you too Bridgette.

I praise God that I have been blessed also with a God-fearing good man that I love. This is what happens when you marry the one God chooses for you. To God be the glory.

Red
TERA said…
Love this post! I thank God everyday for giving me Paul. He is truly my soulmate, lover and best friend. There is not one decision he makes without thinking about his family first and he knows that only God has sustained him through it all.
Anonymous said…
That's wonderful he is your sunshine. The world wants us to think marriages are broken, in shambles, and not worth the effort. It's good to hear a wife talk about her husband the way you have.

Trinimerican

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl