Skip to main content

But Where Is God?

Yesterday evening, we had a thunderstorm in our area. If you ever get to experience this with my children, you will see how different they really are. Brayden ran from window to window looking at the rain and lightning. Danae almost made me fall by holding onto my dress and following my every step.

She is TERRIFIED of the sound of thunder. Actually, she's afraid of quite a few things. A while ago, we adopted the practice of talking about the fear, reassuring her that everything will be okay, and praying about it. So, she came to me and asked me to sit on the sofa with her so we could wrap ourselves in the blanket during the storm. I reminded her that I was still cooking so I couldn't do that. But, I told her she could stay in the kitchen with me. She did, while holding onto my dress the entire time. Brayden came to pat her on the back a couple of times but he was too excited by the noise so he didn't stay long.

I asked Danae what made her afraid of thunder. She said it was loud. I told her she likes other loud things and told her noise can't hurt you. She said it sounds like it's going to break something. So, I told her we don't have to be afraid because God is there to protect us. She said she knows that but she doesn't know where he is because she's never seen him. Then, she asked me "Where is God?" I told her he's everywhere all the time. She said "but I really need to see him today." I said he lives inside us so we can't see him just like we can't see our hearts or stomachs. She then said "Okay, but I have to be good so I can see him in heaven." So, we prayed that God will make her feel safe and not so afraid. It worked.

It's hard to explain some things to children. Luckily, they accept what we say but these discussions really make you think. How do you explain God to someone who doesn't know him?

Comments

bklynq said…
That is too precious, I know it's hard for kids to understand where God is when they are used to seeing and touching things. You did a good job Mommy.
Anonymous said…
Excellent job, Bridge. I am taking notes for when I get a question like that. Keep on giving the good information.

Red
Anonymous said…
Absolutely WOW! Kids really challenge things. Great explanation mom!!!

Trinimerican
*Tanyetta* said…
Children are so precious and innocent. I love this.
Anonymous said…
That was a fabulous explanation. I've been trying to figure out how exactly as a child how you learn about God. I mean I was taught about God as a child and I know the point that I accepted Him but I wonder how I learned about Him as a child? Not like the I read my Bible and learned stories etc but just how the mind comes to accept anything as fact and puts it together and recollects it. BUt the brain is the last medical frontier and I guess that is one example of why.
Lonna

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl