Skip to main content

What should I write?

Well, I sat down to post something today and couldn't think of a thing to write to start this week. So, I looked at a previous post to get ideas and saw this.

I sing: to my children every day

Then, I thought of something that none of you know about me.

I used to sing a lot in church but that really changed in March 1994. Let me tell you a little about it.

When I was a little girl, my family (extended family included) was really into music. I have a cousin who is a very seriously good musician. His specialty is the trumpet but he can play almost every instrument there is. Well, on second thought, I don't think he can play string instruments. This fool lives in Houston too and one day I'm going to get him to play at our church. Anyway, we frequently had talent shows in my aunt's backyard with at least 50 people in attendance. We coordinated dance routines, sang songs, and had so much fun together.

One of my older cousins decided to form a group with us younger ones. So, we formed a quartet and would sing church songs. Sometimes, we had a fifth member as well. We got pretty serious with this and eventually were invited to sing at a lot of different churches. From my memory, we sounded pretty good too. A funny thing about this though is my cousin named our group. I can't remember what it was though. But, almost every time we would go sing, she had changed the name of the group so we never knew when it was our time until she would start hitting us to get up.

This really sparked an interest in music and I went on to join a wonderful community youth choir in Pensacola. The director was absolutely amazing, although a little nuts sometimes. We had about 150 members and everyone loved singing with this choir. It was in this choir that I learned I have a range from 2nd soprano to 2nd tenor...because he made us all sing individually to find this out. Some of our songs had parts divided into 1st soprano, 2nd soprano, 1st alto, 2nd alto, 1st tenor, 2nd tenor, baritone, bass, and whatever I might have left out.

Eventually, as with most things, this choir fizzled. The problem was the director got an amazing job opportunity in another city and moved away. No one could fill his shoes.

Of course, I also sang at my church. Believe it or not, I sang solos too. The last time I led a song was March 1994. I don't remember the title, but one line was "the anointing makes a difference in my life". I sang it the last time my mom attended church. That week, she went in the hospital and never left. I have never sang a solo since and now that I write this I'm convinced it's related to her death.

I actually miss singing. I'm going to choir practice this week, for real. However, my rule still stands. I'm not singing into anyone's mic. I'm too scared for all that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing.

Trinimerican
*Tanyetta* said…
I wish I could sing. Well, I guess I can sing, I just can't carry a note ;)
bklynq said…
Look forward to seeing you there. Just know most musicians are a little crazy and Kelvin is no exception.
TERA said…
I knew you could sing when I was directing the Young Adult Choir at Fondren. I pray you get up enough courage to get in front of the mic again because you didn't sound too bad then...LOL!
Anonymous said…
Come on out. We need in the alto section. Just be prepared for the crazy director who makes you sing in the mic.

Jenise
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing. I learned something new and wonderful about my son's godmother.

Red
Anonymous said…
I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.
Lonna
Mrs. Glenn said…
Wow, Bridge!! I might have guessed, but I never did. :) I'm glad that at least your children hear you sing. I need to do better with Sydney. I'm one of those people who will sing in front of a crowd, but I won't sing in the shower or around the house...I know, I'm backwards!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl