Skip to main content

Follow up on Georgia

For those of you who don't already know, Georgia Melville died over the weekend. We are all very shaken up by this but we know that God knows best.

The point of this post is just that we need to remember how important it is to appreciate each other every day and every time we see one another. Sometimes we may have to inconvenience ourselves but we must let each other know that we really care because you never know when it will be too late.

In December, our church's school had their Christmas play. After the play, I asked Georgia if her daughter's school was going to have a play. She said yes and told me when it was. I told her I would be there. On the day of her daughter's play, I was really tired and Dwayne was out of town on a business trip. I still went to the play because I promised I would. Georgia was so happy I actually showed up and told a few others about it. It made me glad I went even though I honestly thought about missing it.

Earlier this month, I received the following email from Georgia.

Hi bff (lol)
How are you doing? I looked at you on Sabbath and I can see that God is truly good to you and Dwayne. Take care and as usual I am praying the baby will be born on my birthday Feb 9th. You have two lovable and trained children and I pray that you and Dwayne continue to train them up in the way of the Lord. I won't be at church this sabbath so give them both a hug for me okay. I just sent up a prayer for you and the family. Take care and happy new year.


In peace
Georgia

That just reminded me of something. The last Sabbath Georgia was at church, she made an announcement about something for the federation stuff. Somehow, my name came up in her announcement and she said "my BFF Bridgette Gibson". After church, I told her I didn't know we were taking our BFF status public. I thought it was just reserved for our private emails like the one above.

I can't begin to count how many times this woman told me she had prayed for us. When we dealt with our fertility issues, she prayed every day. And, this is not something she did specifically for our family. She prayed for everyone and was genuinely concerned about everyone. Because of the above email, we ended up having a very heartfelt conversation where I told her I really appreciated her, I loved her, and how she was one of my favorite people. I'm so glad we had that conversation because now would be too late.

I had also asked her opinion about something I want to start at our church. This was a part of her response: "I am very busy but to take time out for my daughter and other girls her age means more to me than anything else so COUNT ME IN. By the way, while Jesus was carrying the cross the naysayers were there and he still went to Golgotha (what a mighty God we serve)."

I talked to Georgia a lot about raising children. Her kids are amazing and I like to get advice from those who have been down the path I'm on. She would do anything for her kids. She gave me a lot of practical advice that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Georgia was one of the few people who was woven into almost aspect of our church family. She will be greatly missed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This post was so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. The wonderful thing about Georgia was that she was the same way with everyone. She would send me text messages telling me happy sabbath every Friday night. Eventhough I was going to see her in a hour. She always remembered little events and would just send emails to check on me throughout the week.

I will truly miss her. I know she will be there on that "great gettin up morning" when God comes to take his children to heaven.
Love you Georgia

Jenise
Anonymous said…
She will be truly missed. I still can't believe it. It seems like a dream...almost.

I wish I would have called her back last week.

The thing about her is that she cared about everyone. She emailed, called, and wanted the best for us all.

We will see her again!

Trinimerican
Anonymous said…
I am sorry for you alls lost. God is in control and His Spirit will comfort you and all that loved her. I hope to meet her when Jesus returns soon. You better be there to introduce us.

Red.
bklynq said…
I am truly going to miss Georgia. I know she saw a picture of Bethany but I would have loved for her to meet her.

Evey week she was joining the praise team, I truly loved her and her wonderful way.
Red,
I won't have to introduce you to her. She will be the loudest thing up there, next to Dwayne.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Yesterday, I had something to do so the kids went to their old sitter's house for a few hours. We got home later than intended so I knew I would be rushing to prepare dinner, get them bathed, and settled for the night. Here's what really happened. As soon as we entered the house, Brayden started running around saying "Mommy, I have to pee". So we rush into the bathroom and as soon as his pants are unbuttoned, he starts peeing on himself. I clean him up and decide they can play in the tub while I start preparing dinner. As soon as we get to the kitchen, Danica throws up all over me, herself, and the floor. So, I take her to our bathroom and bathe her. Before I can get her pj's buttoned up, Brayden starts screaming "I have to pee!" Because he just went all over the bathroom floor, I'm a little perplexed. I run to their bathroom anyway only to find out he didn't have to pee, he had to poop and had already dropped two bombs in the bathtub where his s

Baby Making (Or Not)

So, as I've said before, I'm getting my tubes tied this year. I have had so many people tell me they don't agree with this. I've been told that I should let God decide how many children we have or ask him to close my womb. I should wait and see if I want more children in the future. It's too permanent. What if something happens to my children and I decide I want more later. I honestly didn't expect to run in to so much opposition. First of all, it's my body and my decision. Secondly, I am absolutely sure that I don't want more children. And lastly, it really is my decision. The funny thing is that my friend who has 5 children has received a lot of criticism for the size of her family and was told repeatedly that she should've gotten her tubes tied. Now, there are other circumstances in that particular family that would warrant such remarks. But my point is that people are never satisfied. If we continued to have children, I'm sure someone would s

Christmas in September?

Apparently, living in Manila is going to provide plenty of material for me to write about. Here goes: We have been provided several books to help us adapt to life in the Philippines. Something we read was very beneficial for us yesterday. We went to SM which is a department store, furniture store, grocery store, and several restaurants all in one. Danae had to use the bathroom and guess what? There was no toilet tissue. No, they didn't run out. They don't put tissue in the bathrooms at all. No empty tissue holder or anything. Because I read about that, I had a little tissue stowed in my bag to use. In the grocery store, the most overwhelming shock was the stench. The entire back of the store is basically a butcher shop. Surprisingly, there were no flies or anything. But, the smell was gross. Danae held her nose while we looked around in there. I wasn't bold enough to purchase any meat yet. One day, maybe. Or, we'll just become vegetarians while we're here. In the cl